If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. JRR Tolkien
As we have embarked upon a new era in the United States with a new President this week, we have seen so much unrest among so many people. It brings to mind something Roger always says his grandfather said, “You can’t hate your brother over a bowl of pasta”.
I love this saying because there is so much truth in this. And it brings us back to how much we bond with people when we have them in our home and around our table for a meal. Hopefully enjoying a time to put aside differences and realize that we can be together and have a sense of unity around a table even though we may not agree on all things.
Maybe as you read this today there is someone that comes to your mind that you would love to get to know. Call them soon and have them over!
Today’s recipe is a light chicken dish. The lemon adds a refreshing “lightness” to it that I know you will love. This dish leftover, is also nice because the lemon just continues to add great flavor.
Chicken with Wild Rice and Broccoli
2 large Boneless Chicken Breasts (pounded down and cut into 4 pieces)
¼ cup lemon juice
1 chopped onion
1 clove garlic chopped
1 cup wild rice (we used an “Uncle Ben’s” Wild Rice with seasoning, but didn’t add seasoning. If you want a bolder flavor, add the seasoning)
- Salt and pepper chicken and cook in frying pan.
- Pour some lemon juice over them and set aside.
- Saute chopped onion in the same pan you cooked the chicken in.
- Sweat down and de-glaze pan with white wine, add garlic.
- Add rice and enough chicken broth to cover. Continue cooking and adding broth as needed until almost done.
- Add broccoli and mushrooms and finish cooking.
- Salt and Pepper and the rest of the lemon juice to taste.
- Add chicken back on top and serve.