Crock Pot Roasted Chicken with Sweet Onion & Garlic Milk Gravy
Well here we are a week into the New Year. Work, school & being busy make up the week again. Now it’s time for some simple meals. We get a lot of requests for the crock pot so lets get into it.
If you have been following me you know I have a love affair with my All-Clad Crock Pot. It has a non-stick insert that you can put on the stove top and brown, sauté etc. If you had to press me for my favorite counter top appliance though, I may have to say it’s my Breville Rice cooker. It is a FAIL SAFE rice cooker and steamer, and it too is nonstick. Anyone who cooks rice the old fashion way on the stove top knows what it’s like to cook and clean a pan of rice.
We will be cooking rice for this dish, so however you make your rice it will be great.
I’m not going to get into the chicken part so much. I used only onions, Vidalia onions to be exact, you can add celery, carrots, or whatever else sounds good for you. The real emphasis for this dish is what goes on the Chicken, sweet onion, garlic and milk gravy. Well worth the effort here.
This isn’t necessarily a throw and go crock pot dish, (where you toss everything in before leaving for work and turn the crock pot on) although it can be if you want it to be but we do need to plan ahead a little bit.
What we need
- A roasting chicken 5 -7 pounds Rubbed with salt & pepper
- 5 sweet Vidalia onions sliced rather thick
- 10 cloves of garlic coarsely chopped
- 2 cups of milk
- 1 cup of sour cream
- One 32 ounce container of LOW sodium chicken broth (we may need more) remember we are salting the chicken and onions, so we want low sodium broth so we don’t over power the dish. If all you have is regular broth make sure you use salt accordingly.
- 1 cup of white wine
FIRST and this can be done well in advance
- Take 2 cups of milk and add 5 gloves of chopped garlic, cover and store in refrigerator.
- On stove top (with sauté pan or if you have an insert for your crock pot) sauté the onions. You are looking for the onions to “wilt” a little bit, don’t let them brown, about 5-6 minutes. Take out and place in bowl.
- IN same saute’ pan or insert, place chicken and brown on both sides 3-4 minutes per side.
- Add Chicken and onions and other 5 cloves of garlic and put in crock pot. Turn on high for 4 hours.
- After the first hour, add the container of chicken broth. In the last hour add 1 cup of white wine.
- After 4 hours the chicken should be cook you can keep in crock pot on low for another few hours.
- Make your rice so it’s ready for dinner time.
- Take 3- 4 cups of broth from the crock pot and place in a sauce pan. Add the milk and garlic mixture and bring to a boil.
- In a small bowl, take the sour cream and a small amount (a few tablespoons at a time) of hot broth and temper the sour cream stirring constantly. If we add the sour cream directly to very hot liquid it will curdle, we are looking for smooth here.
- Once the cream is tempered, SLOWLY add to the gravy on the stove top, Add some flour (WONDRA works excellent for this), whisk it in and bring to a boil until thickened.
- Take chicken out and place on cutting board 15 minutes before you want to cut it. On a plate, (and I really like a bowl for this dish) add a scope of rice, place the chicken portion on top and coat with the gravy.
You can write me and tell me how this gravy has become your favorite. That’s how good it is.
As always, take pics and tell us how you made out cooking this dish. We also want suggestions and requests of recipes and techniques you may want to see.