How about a nice hearty salad tonight? Today we are going to talk about one with Kale as our main green. I love to make salads. They are like an empty canvas that you can be so creative with.
Let’s talk about the Kale for a minute, for this recipe you want to use Lacinato Kale (or Tuscan Kale). Buy it whole so you can slice it up into small strips. Because kale is tough, you want smaller pieces. Make sure you don’t put in the large tough rib section when you are slicing it. Next, after you have washed and sliced the kale you want to put it in a bowl with some of the dressing and “massage” it. This will help it to tenderize it a bit. After you do this let it sit for a little bit (30 minutes to an hour).
For our salad it is pretty simple. You will see in the pictures the salad I made didn’t even have cheese on it (because I forgot), but I would strongly suggest adding some cheese it needs the flavor to balance it out. You could also add some chicken to this salad and have a great complete dinner.
Kale Salad with Orange Shallot Dressing
Pomegranate Seeds (Don’t have any, substitute dried cherries or cranberries)
Parmesan Cheese – you can use any cheese I would also use some Gorgonzola or Feta in this salad, whatever you prefer.
*Optional Cooked Chicken Cubed or Shredded
- Coarsely chop pecans (not too small)
- In a bowl mix a few tablespoons Olive oil with some kosher salt and pepper, if you are feeling adventurous you can add some cumin or another seasoning to this as well…up to you.
- Toss the pecans in the bowl, lay out on baking sheet and put in 350 oven for 5 minutes, watching carefully. They may need a bit more time, stir and just make sure you keep your eye on them, they will burn really fast.
- Set aside and let cool until you are ready to toss them on the salad.
Orange Shallot Dressing
½-1 shallot, depending on the size. Shallots can be really strong in flavor.
¼ c wine vinegar
1 orange – zest and juice
½ c olive oil
- Put the shallot and vinegar in food processor and mix well.
- Add the honey and orange zest and juice.
- Add the olive oil and combine well.
- Toss in some kosher salt and pepper and you are all set.
Combine all the ingredients and add dressing that is left (you would have used some of it for the kale).
Here is a great article about kale if you would like to read it.