I love this recipe. The combination of the shrimp and sausage is delicious. Then when you serve it over the warm polenta, oh so good.
When you are looking for a quick dinner idea, this recipe should definitely be on the list. It is quick and easy to put together and get on the table.
If you can find raw shrimp that is peeled and deveined it will make this dish all that much easier and quick to prepare.
As you are prepare the polenta you may want to use chicken broth instead of water. Also, stir in a good handful of Parmesan cheese when it is finished. This gives it a great flavor. Another suggestion would be to add a little more liquid than the polenta calls for, I like it to be the consistency of mashed potatoes. Then when you serve with the liquid from the Shrimp and Sausage, it will become a bit looser.
Shrimp and Sausage over Polenta
1 lb Peeled and Deveined Shrimp
1 lb Loose Italian Sausage
1 medium onion – chopped
3 cloves garlic – minced
1 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
Salt & Pepper
Polenta prepared according to instructions
- In a large sauté pan add 3-4T olive oil, add garlic and onions and sauté for 3-4 minutes over medium heat, being careful not to burn the garlic, if it begins to brown turn down heat.
- Add the shrimp and sauté until shrimp is cooked not more than 5 minutes. Remove shrimp and onion mixture from the pan.
- Add sausage to pan and cook sausage, breaking up any large pieces.
- When sausage is cooked, add tomatoes and bring to a boil, when you are just about ready to serve add the shrimp and onion mixture back in and quickly heat. (you don’t want to add shrimp back in too soon or shrimp will become overcooked).
- Serve in bowls over the prepared polenta.