Here’s another really simple one for you…and with my baked “crouton” to top it off, it’s like a grilled cheese right in your soup.
Can I just say I love a big pot of soup, most can be made quickly or done ahead and reheated. If you want to make it early and not worry about it you can put it in the crock pot and it will be ready whenever you are! Over the next few weeks I will be sending along some great soups to have in your recipe file for those cold crazy nights when we are in a hurry.
Tomato Basil Soup
3T Olive oil
1 can crushed tomatoes
1 can tomato puree
1 32 ounce chicken broth
½ cup whipping cream (or if you want it “lighter” use milk or ½ and ½)
2 T chopped basil
- Heat olive oil in soup pot
- Add chopped onion and sauté until onions are soft and done “sweating”
- Add tomatoes and broth and bring to boil
- Reduce heat to low and add basil
- With an immersion blender blend until smooth (if you like chunks of tomatoes you don’t have to do this step.
- Add whipping cream (or substitute…or don’t add any dairy if you don’t want to…again no rules)
A great variation to this recipe is to throw in some small ravioli’s or even tortellini if you want…
If you don’t want to make the baked “crouton” with this you can make some grilled cheese sandwiches to have with this delicious soup.
Baked Bread Crouton
Loaf of bread sliced
1 stick butter
2 tsp minced shallot
Kosher Salt and Pepper
- Add butter and shallot in food processor and combine to a paste. You can also do this in a bowl and mix well. (Depending on how soft your butter is will depend on how easy this is to mix.)
- Brush slices of bread with olive oil and put on cookie sheet. Sprinkle with kosher salt and pepper and put in oven on 325 for 10 minutes turning to make sure they are browned on both sides.
- Spread the butter/shallot mixture onto the bread slices and then top with blue cheese.
- Put back on cookie sheet and put in oven until blue cheese melts.
If you are not a blue cheese fan you can substitute with whatever cheese you may want. Again NO RULES.